What to Expect
The Facilities Engineering team is seeking a Quality Control Specialist for Civil, Structural, and Architectural installations across multiple projects in the Bay Area to drive the quality of all work installed to the highest standards. In this role, you will utilize your extensive experience in Civil, Structural and Architectural code and industry best practices to ensure every project is completed without defects and can meet the intent of the design. You will be working directly with the skilled trades, construction managers, engineers, and designers to train and mentor them in the standards, details, inspections, and tests required to construct and start-up a high-quality, reliable building.
What You'll Do
· Drive Quality Control plan development and implementation across all jobsites and contractors, as well as within the Tesla Self Perform team. Understand safe methods of installation, inspection, and testing, and clearly communicate that information to the design engineers and installing contractors throughout the project while immediately addressing any ongoing safety issues observed on the jobsite
· Execute specific inspections on materials, equipment, and installation activities on sites you are responsible for at intervals and milestones that reduce the possibility of defective or substandard materials or work being installed
· Schedule, document, and lead Pre-Mobilization meetings with every new contractor on each project to facilitate the communication of expectations that Tesla has for that specific project or phase
· Ensure Quality Control inspections are performed by adequately trained and qualified personnel. Conduct regular assessments of contractor and 3rd Party inspections for compliance with the contract plans and specifications, to ensure competency, and identify training and/or coaching needs
· Provide training of personnel to ensure awareness of quality procedures and specific responsibilities they have in the executing the Quality Control Plan for project scopes
· Perform construction completion inspection checks and document findings in a platform that is accessible to all participants in the project
· Work with Engineers and Contractors to develop and implement testing standards and methods that provide efficient confirmation of system integrity with the lowest impact possible to ongoing operations and construction
· Assist and coordinate final handover documentation (QC documents, test reports, inspection reports, etc.). Drive completion of construction punchlist and deficiency items through clear documentation and follow-up with person responsible for correcting the issue
· Work with construction team and AHJ to facilitate inspections and close permits. Reviews of design progress drawings, shop drawings and submittals
· Manufacturing equipment site visits to review construction of equipment and coordinate utility connections/designs
What You'll Bring
· Minimum 5+ years' experience in construction quality control & quality assurance (QA/QC) programs OR equivalent quality assurance experience working directly for a related trade installing contractor.
· Knowledge of relevant Codes and Standards (IBC, NFPA, etc.)
· Experience in civil, structural, building envelope, and typical underground utilities.
· Complete understanding and familiarity with material/equipment selection and methods of installation for most architectural, structural, and civil scopes of work, including but not limited to:
· Excavations, concrete, structural steel, fire rated partitions and penetrations, doors & hardware, floor finishes, wall finishes, signage, and millwork.
· Ability to research building codes and interpret the requirements against installed products and methods.
· Knowledge of welding and welding processes (CWI is a plus but not required).
· Strong computer skills and a familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
· Experience in a wide range of project types: office buildings, industrial construction, mission critical/data centers, high tech/R&D, bio- tech/pharmaceutical, or battery manufacturing.
· Capable of managing multiple complex projects simultaneously.