What to Expect
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around August 2023 and continue through the entire Fall term (i.e. through December) or into Spring 2024 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Program at Tesla The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team's success.
The Role Be a key technical member of the commercial team that focuses on evaluating and defining new Tesla Energy Storage Product sales opportunities and working to deploy product against them.
About the team The Tesla Energy team is committed, and fast moving. We are a group of engineers that sit at the center of business development, Tesla technology, and the deployment of stationary storage projects on the grid. As a member of our team, you will help to shape the success of our projects in various applications worldwide. You must have a genuine passion for engineering products that will fundamentally change the world's energy infrastructure and must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
What You'll Do
The Sales Engineering Intern will
• Build internal analytical and software tools to streamline the sales engineering process to support large volumes of energy projects
• Work closely with Sales Engineer(s) to complete the financial and preliminary site design for customers
• Work with the sales team to evaluate new market segments and perform analysis of storage potential
• Understand regional energy markets and utilities, define, and disseminate functional requirements with internal business and engineering colleagues
• Participate in on-going proceedings related to tariffs and market mechanisms to inform / update modelling processes.
• Work with prospective customers to identify best commercial and technical fit of Tesla's battery systems by creating and defining the business case This is a multi-faceted role where strong software-development skills and knowledge of engineering fundamentals – mechanical, electrical, and thermal – is expected. Besides a rock-solid work ethic and a strong team-oriented personality, members of our team display creativity, passion, and a desire to break new ground in a constantly shifting technology landscape.
What You'll Bring
• Currently pursuing an academic background in software, electrical, mechanical, civil, environmental, or engineering preferred
• Proven experience in software development to solve complex problems.
• Demonstrated experience related to energy markets and utilities
• Demonstrated experience working on energy solutions for commercial and industrial customers
• Ability to breakdown complex engineering ideas for customers new to storage
• Ability to execute many projects and tasks in parallel
• Excellent communication and documentation skills